Stakeholder engagement is an important process to be carried through any project. The involvement and engagement can add value and increase the life of the projects that goes live.
Prince2 [Project Management Framework] suggests a good framework for the process:
1. Identification : Know your target people. Who is going to be affected by this project?
2. Analysis of Profiles: This creates inclusive environment where stakeholders’ points of views, influence power, conflicts, interests and tradeoffs can be elicitated. We can divide this group into 4 in the most basic form:
a. Support or oppose the project
b. Gain or lose as a result of the project delivery
c. See the project as a threat or enhancement to their position
d. Become active supporters or blockers of the project/its progress.
3. Defining strategy: The communication stragety will be defined:
a. For each profile, the method, format and frequency of the communication
b. The message sender and receipent are decided
c. What information will be communicated ?
4. Planning strategy: With the correct communicator, the negotiations’ timing and method will be planned.
5. Engaging stakeholders ( Negotiations and Partnership): Carry out the plan.
6.Checking effectiveness (Monitoring): What are the results?